Music and Lyrics by Jeffrey Artzi and Daniel Tenenbaum
Book by Jennifer Adams, Jeffrey Artzi, Michael J. Bobbitt, and Daniel Tenenbaum
Based on the original children’s book by Jolly Roger Bradfield
Arrangements and Orchestrations by Robert Resetar
Directed by Casey Marie Holmes
Music Direction by Jim Lansing
Choreography by Scott Stafford
Synopsis and Music:
In the Kingdom of Bushelpeck, the royal family is quite distressed. King Willoughbye can’t enjoy his favorite dessert – Queen Lauralai’s famous Pickle Chiffon Pie. The “Great Cucumber Crisis of the Century” is being caused by a short supply of the main ingredient and because numerous princes are devouring whatever pie supply there is when they are hosted for dinners while courting Princess Sunnyskye. The King devises a contest among the princes to decide who will get to marry Sunnyskye. Of course, Sunnyskye has other ideas—she believes that she should be able to decide whether and whom to marry. Will the King ultimately proclaim a winner? Will Sunnyskye’s voice be heard?
Listen to songs from the musical. Our Music Director suggests listening to #1, #8, #10, #13, #20 and #29.
Rehearsals and Performances:
- December 14 and 22-31, 2023
- January 1 and 15, 2024
Getting Ready for Auditions:
1. SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION TIME or plan to send in an audition video.
2. FILL OUT THE ACTOR AUDITION FORM WITH THE HELP OF A PARENT/GUARDIAN. The form must be completed by the time of the audition (either in person or by video).
3. LISTEN TO “MOST WONDERFUL THING” AND PRACTICE SINGING ALONG WITH THE CHORUS. The chorus will also be taught to actors during auditions.
4. READ THE CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS.
5. CHOOSE A SIDE (portion of the script) TO PRACTICE.
In Person Auditions (Nov. 13 & 16):
Our theatre is located at 605 Rice St. E., Wayzata, MN 55391. Park on the street or in the library/City Hall/fire station lot on Rice St. E. Walk up our driveway on Walker Ave. to the entrance in back.
Arrive 5 minutes before your scheduled time. Check in at the table in the lobby. Hand in a headshot labeled with your name (photocopy of a casual picture is fine) or have your picture taken. If you haven’t filled out the Actor Audition Form before you arrive, your family will be asked to fill out a paper or electronic copy before leaving the theatre.
Auditions will be held in groups. During the audition, you will:
- Learn the chorus to “Most Wonderful Thing” with the group. Then you will sing it by yourself.
- Learn a dance combination for one of the songs from the show. Then you’ll perform it in a group.
- Practice a side with one or two people in your group. Then you’ll get to perform it for others. Everybody will also read one of Dragon’s lines (Side #6).
It is natural to feel a little bit nervous during the audition. Try to relax and have fun!
Video Auditions (due Nov. 20th by 6:00 pm):
In your video, state your first and last name. Sing 30-60 seconds of a song of your choosing (with or without music in the background). Read from one of the sides (Side #1-#5). You can read all of the parts or invite someone at home to read the part of one or two characters. Then read Side #6. Email your video (or a link to it) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6:00 pm on November 20th. Include your name and PICKLE-CHIFFON PIE in the subject line of the email.
The tuition fee for participation in this production is $400 per student. Payment details will be provided to families of actors cast in the show. Payment is due December 18th. Refunds will not be issued if an actor drops from the show once the tuition deadline has passed. Scholarships (full, half, and partial) and payment plans are available. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 952-855-9147.